- Sometimes people just fall off…
- Other people get injured…
- Athletes may take a break after long periods of competition
- Athlete’s could also be tapering for an event
Coach Bott goes into great detail in this 45 minute presentation. She explains what happens, physiologically, to fitness enthusiasts and elite athletes when they take time off.
- There is a rapid decline in VO2 max in highly trained individuals.
- Strength can be maintained for up to 4 weeks of inactivity.
- Eccentric and sport specific power may decline during short term inactivity.