by Carmen Bott
The Wrestler’s Edge
QUESTION –> Why are you working so hard during the final two weeks before your important competition, when the benefits won’t show up until after the match is over?
When rest is inserted, super-compensation is the result.
Appropriately constructed tapering can produce such incredibly positive results.
Did you know that fitness could be perfectly maintained for up to 15 weeks as long as high-quality workouts are included in a training program?
The Wrestler’s Edge Training Program includes tapering periods as a regular part of the overall yearly plan:
- This leads to HUGE gains in fitness, not just before competitions, but at regular intervals during training.
- The timing of tapering depends on the intensity and volume of an athlete’s schedule, and has been conveniently built right into the Pre-Season and In-Season plans using a typical Varsity Schedule.
- And, the final seven days of each training cycle is made lighter enough to ‘consolidate’ all the potential gains which can accrue from the first 21-25 days of regular In-Season training.
Want more Power for Wrestling?
In the mid-1980’s, an increased number of tapering studies began to appear in the scientific literature, most of them emanating from Dr. Dave Costill’s famous laboratory at Ball State University in the United States. In one of Costill’s early pieces of research, highly competitive collegiate swimmers tapered by cutting their training volume by 68 per cent (from 10,000 to 3,200 yards per day) for 2 weeks. Over the course of this tapering period, the swimmers’ muscular power soared by 25 per cent.
What was the secret?
Intensity IS the key preserver of fitness during a tapering period
Should average workout intensity increase during a taper, or should it simply be kept the same, or should it be slightly reduced in order to maximize rest? And what about frequency? These solutions are built right into the Wrestler’s Edge Training Programs.
- Wrestlers will store more energy in their muscles in the form of glycogen.
- Levels of key energy-producing enzymes increase.
- Blood volumes increases. This is performance-enhancing because more blood equals more oxygen delivered to your working muscles in a match!
But Wrestlers need to “Go Hard” all the time.
Sport science has proven the physiological benefits of a training session usually doesn’t present itself until at least 10-14 days have passed after the workout, a time period during which the body is adapting and remodeling itself after strenuous exercise.
See you on the mats.
Coach Carmen Bott is a strength and conditioning coach in Vancouver, BC, Canada. She sees athletes privately and also works as a Performance Consultant for Wrestling Canada. She specializes in physical preparation for both combative and collision sport athletes.
Carmen has been in the sport performance and fitness training industry for over 20 years and is considered a resource in exercise prescription and strength coaching for the combative and collision sport athlete population(s). Carmen holds a bachelor’s in Human Kinetics and a Master’s degree in Exercise Physiology. Coach Bott’s methods are grounded in science, but it is her 20+ years of experience that allow her to transfer the science into practice.
Get Access to The Wrestler’s Edge
Off Season – Pre Season – In Season Strength & Conditioning for Wrestlers
Inside The Wrestler’s Edge…
- Quickly Learn About S&C for Wrestlers in our Athlete Handbook
- Gather Vital Info on Your Athletes with our Athlete Intake Package
- Assess Strengths and Weaknesses with our Performance Testing Manual
- Keep Athletes Healthy with our Warm-ups for Wrestlers
- Learn How Heart Rate Training Can Turbo-Charge Your Conditioning
- Off-Season General Conditioning (Phase 1)
- Off-Season General Strength & Power (Phase 1)
- Off-Season Specialized Conditioning (Phase 2)
- Off-season Specialized Strength & Power (Phase 2)
- Pre-Season Power Development Plan (Phase 3)
- In Season Training Plan (Phase 4)
The Most Effective Strategies and Methods to Ensure that You and Your Team are Strong, Powerful and Ready to Compete!
On Sale Thru Friday!