I consider Ground Rolls an absolute vital piece in the core mastery puzzle. It is not only a highly functional core move, but it also works the entire midsection very hard, combines Flexion, Rotation and Extension into one smooth move, integrates proper breathing and even works your inner organs via constant compression and extension cycle. The bottom line is that if you cannot do those, even in their most basic variation outlined in the video series below, you have very poor core control. On the other hand, if you work up to 2, 5, 10 or even 15-20 minutes of continuous technical rolling, it will transform the way you look, feel, and perform.
Systema Ground Rolling
Back Half Roll
- How to perform Ground Shoulder Rolls safely and effectively
- How to avoid harsh ground contact with the spine
- How to breathe correctly during Ground Shoulder Rolls
- Basic Half Back Roll Progression
- How to stabilize yourself during the roll at the beginning stages of skill development
Full Back Roll
- How to perform Full Back Ground Rolls properly
- More details on proper breathing during the execution
- How to gain true strength and get away from relying on momentum
- What part of your feet and legs to use to enter the ground, depending on the surface and footwear type that you are working with.
- Correct way to articulate your shoulder during forward rolls
- Common mistake when rotating the shoulder
- How to build core strength and control when performing Ground Shoulder Rolls
- Correct use of momentum
- How to work up to performing legitimate Forward Ground Rolls, if the core strength is yet inadequate
- Review of the safety guidelines
- Benefits summary of performing Ground Rolls and general guidelines and standards on how to train them and what you should expect to work up to
Greg Mihovich is the founder of Compound Conditioning Training System and the Underground Gym training facility. With a lifetime of experience in martial arts and functional fitness, Greg utilizes multiple disciplines to enhance the athletic performance and combat readiness of his clients. His innovative approach to training has led to his recognition world-wide, as one of the leading experts on human performance. For more information on Greg’s training methods, articles, videos, DVDs, digital downloads, online training, Certification seminars, workshops, classes and private training please check out www.UndergroundGym.com.